Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fully Exposed

So anyone who is anyone has recently heard/seen/read/ the torrent of articles on dress code and what this society has reduced womanhood to. We've all seen the Facebook memes that, "size 12 is sexier than skin and bones," or, "real women have curves." Yet as we as a society are inundated with images of Marilyn Monroe juxtaposed next Kierra Nightly, have we ever stopped to ask what this means? Well, I won't lie, this issue hits home for me. I'm a curvy lady that loves her body (and not the obligatory "i love my body" but the real deal) and has a strong feminist streak. So...lets all take a deep breath and dive into social issue that will never go away but can perhaps improve. Things are about to be fully exposed.
First, let's talk dress code. Explain to me why it's ok for a young man to wear a t-shirt with a nude blonde double dd model licking a Popsicle but it's inappropriate for me to wear shorts. Explain to me why socks with pot leaves go unnoticed but my spaghetti straps don't. Explain to me why school districts make an exception to dress code violation when it comes to males. Don't get me wrong, not every teacher turns a blind eye to the ridiculously over sexualized women plaguing t-shirts, but many do. There is so obviously a double standard within just how "sexy" a gender can dress. Now what does religion have to say about this? As women, we are told modest is hottest and to dress ourselves appropriately as to not make "our brothers stumble." Did anyone think maybe my cellulite riddled legs aren't the cause of "stumbling" but instead the Popsicle licker? No. Instead women are further repressed into being ashamed of their bodies because being sexy and comfortable with your breast and curves (or lack thereof) is promiscuous.
Once upon a time, women got sick of having to be perfect housewives with every hair carefully and artfully placed. Then dawned the era of burn your bra and fuck what anyone else thinks about it. With the turn of the sexual revolution, conservatives and especially the Christian Church, decided that a combat plan was necessary. So they tightened the reigns on women and told them the longer the skirt, the better the person. I can understand feeling the need to preach fidelity in a time where promiscuity was praised, but by trying to solve one problem, another was created.
Women are forced to look at two polar opposite versions of who they should be. On one hand, I have Cosmo Magazine telling me how to make my tits bigger and drive him crazy in bed. I can't drive to work without seeing nearly naked women selling a product that is used when fully clothed (how does that even make sense?). I see women on TV tell me I should be thin, funny, clever, charming, and a vixen that makes men drop to their knees. In contrast to this, I have my father telling me to cover my stomach. I have my church telling me SEX IS BAD unless you're married. I'm told to cover my body and be the perfect meek servant of God. These two lifestyles have no room for each other. There is no way I can lead both and not be called a hypocrite. So, as a woman, what am I left to do?
Back to dress code. A rule telling girls there skirts have to "X" amount of inches long, only further shames their bodies and self esteem. So as the teacher measures my shorts, I can gaze into the eyes of a naked women with her tongue out as she's plastered onto my classmate's shirt, all while thinking "Gee I hope I'm not making anyone stumble."
Fact of the matter is their are healthy amounts for each version of life. If I want to show a little cleavage and rock my ass *cough cough* ets, then I damn well will. However, i respect myself to understand the i am not as good as my bra size. Instead of forcing a mold upon women, perhaps we should let them grow to love their bodies for their amazing beauty all while loving their minds for their intellect. Some days I'm so proud of the leaps women have made in society and then others I'm left feeling guilty for my less than bangin' bod, scratching my head, and saying WhatTheBilly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment