Tuesday, April 22, 2014

California Dreamin'

Here is the preface to a ridiculous romantic story that my life is about to fulfill. I am going to California. That's really not the exciting part. What's exciting is that i am going with the guy of my dreams. We decided that we would be spontaneous and take off in the middle of the night during finals week. We leave tomorrow night, whence upon we will find a beach and watch the sunrise, only to come back for classes later on that night.
Who even does this? I swear on all that is holy and mighty if this trip ends in a sad hug and "see ya later" i might shoot a fetus. Fact of the matter is i am excited to say the least.
I think everyone needs a to live a little during college. To clarify, when i say live a little i don't mean try meth and buy prostitutes. That's too much living that often leads to death. Seriously (but that's another story). If i have taken one thing away from my first year of college it is that life happens whether you want it to or not. 
I have spent so much time worrying about what to do with my life and what it means to be human but ironically, while debating these concepts have missed the point. I think each day is gift (cliche i know) and that it should be treasured. Who says you can't cross state lines to see the sunrise? Who says i can't smoke a cigar on top of a parking garage? Who says that i can't jump the fence and swim in a work uniform after hours? No one. Life is far to short to go on reeling over heavy concepts. I think that it is when you sit back and give yourself permission to be a bit of an idiot, that you get a glimpse of the bigger picture.
There will come a day when i can't just pick up and leave or when my dreams will be chained by the reality of adulthood. Yet, for now, i am free to just be.
I won't say that life isn't hard, trust me it is. No amount of therapy and medication can fix it all, but the times where i want to rip my hair out makes the good times so much sweeter. Will i look back at some of the idiotic things i've done and think "what the hell..." probably. Yet i can't imagine myself regretting the time i took in these few short years to be my age.
I sit in a nearly empty dorm room writing this as my room mates study for finals with starbucks in hand. I can't help but look at these girls and think of the laughter and memories i've shared with them. The conclusion of this year is certainly bitter sweet. Even still, no ragrets...not even a letter.
Sometimes i think i have everything all figured out, then other times im blind sided by the profound feeling of what it is to be human; all while scratching my head and saying WhatTheBilly

No comments:

Post a Comment