Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Cause for Body Mods

We've all seen that guy with dreadlocks and ears stretched so big that you could fit the state of Texas inside and still have room to breathe. We've all seen that girl tattooed with full sleeves and a septum ring that compliments her shaved head. We've all seen those kinds of people. And i now i pose a question for the online world: Why are those people looked down on?
Tattoos and piercings not your thing? I get it. No worries. Yet for some of us, they are very much our thing and we enjoy expressing our individuality with some metal shoved through our skin. Luckily, the body modification culture has become much more accepted as tattoos have made their way to main stream society. However, these people are still discriminated in the work place and day to day life.
I understand that some people could be intimidated by the fact that i have a septum ring and that i have a few tattoos...but isn't that their problem? Who decided that tattoos and piercings aren't professional? Think of it this way, you spend tons of time trying to figure out what to wear and style your hair because you want your image to say something about you. My tattoos and piercings do the same for me.
I don't mean to get rant-y because there are enough of those blogs already, but i think it needs to be said. Tattoos are art that i get to wear on my body forever. People spend thousands of dollars on paintings that they hang up on their living room wall and they only get to look at it a fraction of the day. I spend hundreds on art pieces i get to look at whenever i so please.
I think that prejudice against people who seem a bit different and "eccentric"is one of the stupidest things in the world. I have a brain. And i have tattoos. It is entirely probable for me to have both! Ok rant over.
Funny story though, i got my tax return back and found that i have nearly 400 dollars from the government. As a starving college student it would make sense that i would use it to pay off loans or for food right? Nope. That 400 dollars is going straight into a tattoo this summer. Judge away.
I guess everyone is allowed to have their own taste, but don't shove your favorite Prada bag down my throat and i wont shove my curved bar bell down yours. Sometimes people make total sense, and other times i'm left scratching my head and saying WhatTheBilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment